IFM-SEI is looking for an enthusiastic and active member to volunteer full time in Brussels for 12 months from 1 August 2018 until 31 July 2019. IFM-SEI will apply to the European Commission to cover the living costs for the volunteer. Please note that the grant is not guaranteed. At present there is a time of transition between different volunteering funding streams in the European Commission, so there is a little uncertainty about application processes and deadlines, however we anticipate to apply for the grant in the beginning of February 2018 and, if so, we should know if we are successful by May 2018.
What would I do?
As an EVS volunteer, you will be based in our small Secretariat in Brussels, you will work with many volunteers all around the world and you will have the opportunity to see the world. The main focus of EVS year is for you to have the chance to develop new competencies, get new experiences to contribute to your educational and professional development, increase your intercultural awareness, and give you the opportunity to shape your voluntary work around your interests and areas you would like to develop.
You will also be involved in a variety of IFM-SEI projects during the year, as well as getting hands-on experience of contributing to the running of IFM-SEI. Some of the projects you may be involved with are:
- • Reach Out!: getting involved with our working group on non-formal education, volunteering and group work, to bring global to local through a membership campaign, facilitating partnerships and twinning, and developing a global Pool of Trainers.
- • Children in Conflict: a global project looking at how children lives and their children’s rights are affected by conflict, exploring the realities and impact of war and conflict zones on kids and youth. This will include study visits, educational seminars and the production of a documentary.
- • Supporting thematic networks: supporting the work of one of our five thematic networks – rainbow, feminist, anti-capitalist, accessibility or migration network – to help deliver their education, campaigns and advocacy work.
What do other volunteers think?
I won't be exaggerating when I say that my EVS experience launched a new career path for me, introducing me to internationalism. Today, I have gained so much exposure from the opportunities that my EVS created for me, made a network of great and inspiring international friends. I have been recognized both nationally, regionally through awards and gained international scholarships all thanks to my experience during my EVS.
- Delphine, EVS 2012
My EVS with IFM-SEI was really special because it gave me so many incredible opportunities and I learned a lot about myself and what I value. I was based in Belgium for the year but it felt like I was actively practicing internationalism; I made lots of amazing new friends from all over the world.
- Frankie, EVS 2015-16
During my year at the IFM-SEI secretariat I learnt so much about socialist education and how to run an international youth movement that has the power to change society and to connect people worldwide through the motivation to change society. I got so much more self-confidence, because my colleagues empowered and believed in my educational skills. It was an amazing experience to work for IFM-SEI!
- Bine, EVS 2012-13
What financial support do I get?
The position is voluntary, however there is financial support for the volunteer by the means of:
- • Accommodation in Brussels (in a shared flat/house)
- • An allowance that includes money for meals, local transport and pocket money
- • Travel costs to Brussels (a lump sum depending on the distance to Brussels)
- • Insurance for the whole year
- • A language course (French or Dutch)
- • EVS training programme (to be confirmed) and lots of training and development opportunities with IFM-SEI and our member organisations
- • An exciting and unforgettable experience, working for an international organisation in an international city!
Can I apply?
You can apply if you fit the following profile:
- • Aged between 18 and 30
- • Active in a member organisation of IFM-SEI in Europe, the Middle East or Western Sahara
- • Able to work in English (Spanish and/or French would be an advantage)
- • Able to commit a year to volunteering in Brussels
- • Computer literate
- • Basic knowledge of non-formal education
- • Support from your IFM-SEI member organisation
- • Your organisation has accreditation as an EVS sending organisation (or can arrange it by the end of 2017)
- • The motivation to take back what you have learnt to your IFM-SEI member organisation to share good practice
- • Open-minded, friendly and flexible
We particularly encourage young people with fewer opportunities to apply!
Hear from some more volunteers!
Being an EVS volunteer at IFM-SEI was a huge experience and fun at the same time. Together with the secretariat, we have been putting into practice IFM-SEI values; I gained more experience and expertise in non-formal education, improved my skills to make a positive change not only in my own life but in the community, I am a part of, too. It was the greatest and the most diverse adventure in for me so far.
- Teona, EVS 2014-15
My EVS was a life-changing experience. It is the biggest opportunity that I have ever gotten in my whole life. It was my first step into professional life. My EVS was also a life-saving experience. Working with IFM-SEI and being surrounded with great people sharing socialist values was extremely helpful. It provided me with the safe space that I needed at that moment. Doing an EVS also helped me learn a lot about myself and the world around me. It was a journey to my inner being that gave me the necessary skills and attitude that I needed in order to become an actor of positive change.
- Arnold, EVS 2015
How do I apply?
If you are interested then you send your CV, a motivation letter (up to one page A4) and a support letter from your organisation. The motivation letter should outline why you would like to join IFM-SEI for an EVS year and what you feel you could bring to the role. We would ask for you to send all application documents to email@example.com by Thursday 4 January 2018.
Please spread the word! If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to get in touch on the email address above.